Call today ! (618) 988-8130

What should I do if my child chips a tooth?


Every parent knows accidents happen and our children are physically affected. Dental accidents in children almost always involve front teeth.

When a front tooth breaks we immediately ask the age of the child. Younger children with baby teeth often have a tooth chip or loosen, while older children fracture teeth and sometimes, unfortunately, knock them out. A chipped tooth, whether big or small, should be taken care of as soon as possible. 

What do I do if my child breaks or chips a tooth?

If your child is older than six years and you are certain an adult tooth is involved for the chipped tooth, try to locate the broken piece and keep it moist, then ask your emergency dentist if the piece can be re-attached. Several times over the years we have been able to re-attach corners of broken front teeth.

What do I do if my child knocks out a tooth?

Locate the lost tooth and quickly rinse the tooth clean and keep it wet or moist. The best liquid is milk, and the next best is water or salted water, in a small container, bag, or paper towel. Immediately phone an emergency dentist for further instructions. We have successfully replanted a knocked-out front tooth

When a child has a chipped tooth or a tooth knocked out, their comfort is everyone’s concern, but sometimes the dental appearance is also important. Tim Loughran Dentistry can be your emergency dentist when a child’s tooth is involved, and we do the cosmetic dentistry to help everyone smile again.

Call today ! (618) 988-8130 , schedule an appointment, or find us on Facebook.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *